Makes 3 dozen large macaroons
1.5 C egg whites
3 T coconut flour
3 ½ C unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 C freeze dried raspberries (or finely chopped cherries/cranberries)
¾ C honey
2-3 servings of stevia
½ t lemon oil
Zest of 1-2 lemon
Pinch of salt
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks in kitchen aid.
- Add stevia, lemon oil, zest and salt.
- Very slowly add honey stream just until it incorporates into meringue. Do not overbeat or egg whites will ‘breakdown’.
- Add coconut flour once honey is in.
- Fold coconut and fruit into mixture.
- Spoon onto lightly greased parchment paper. Create a mound shape that is higher than wide.
- Bake on 225 degrees for around 1 hour or until slightly golden and getting crispy on top.
- If you want a less chewy, more crispy macaroon, after bake time place cookies in dehydrator on highest setting for several hours until completely crispy.
- If you want your macaroons to keep their ball shape better (and not flatten out), heat honey on stove top until it bubbles for 5-10 minutes. Then add very slowly to mixing egg whites.
- I save my egg whites from making mayo, adding egg yolks to fresh juice-smoothies and other dishes that call for just yokes. Pastured eggs are too expensive to throw the whites away ;o)
- This makes a lot of cookies! Freeze some for a treat later!