Adapted from this recipe to make it a GAPS-friendly granola
1 C sunflower seeds (sprouted and dried if you can)
3 C mixed nuts (any combo of almonds, walnuts, cashews, hazelnuts, pistachios)- coarsely chopped
1 C unsweetened shredded coconut
½ C blanched almond flour
1.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
½ C unsweetened applesauce
½ C coconut oil
¼ C honey
20 drops of liquid stevia (or more honey to taste)
1 cup of any combination of dried cranberries, cherries, golden raisins or chopped apricots
- Combine nuts, almond flour and spices in bowl.
- Whisk together coconut oil, applesauce, honey and stevia.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients until well combined.
- Spread mixture out thin onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Add in dried fruit and let cool and crisp completely on sheet before putting in mason jar.
- Can store room temperature, or if you eat it slowly, in fridge.
- Have applesauce get to room temperature before combining with coconut oil so that oil doesn’t harden when it touches the cold apple sauce.
- Watch the granola closely after 20 minutes, it will brown quickly.
- Get creative: could add sesame or poppy seeds, or even gogi berries, cacoa nibs or dried blueberries!