This recipe I adapted from another site called, Gutsy. I haven’t made her version of it, so you may want to choose hers over mine…I don’t mind. I made mine in a different manner and changed some ingredients around a bit! It is another great breakfast or dinner meal to add to the mix, although we probably won’t eat it often because bacon is a treat, as is the rather expensive celery root, AKA celeriac ;o) For people who can tolerate potatoes in their diet, you could probably substitute them easily for the celery root here (approx. 3 medium potatoes). Let me know if you try that! When we are off the GAPS diet that would be another great way to use this recipe…in the meantime, celery root does the trick!
1 large (or 2 medium) celery root- peel and grate in food processor
1 onion- chopped
1 t real salt
5-6 pieces of bacon-cooked
½-1 C chopped chicken (optional- had this in the fridge cooked!)
4 T fat of choice (bacon grease would work perfect here!)
1 can green chilies
1 t garlic powder
¼ C pepper jack or cheddar cheese
- Sautee onion and grated celery root in leftover bacon grease until softened.
- Add in cooked bacon, chilies, garlic powder and S&P.
- Take off burner, stir in beat eggs.
- Grease 9X13 casserole dish and pour mixture in, smoothing out.
- Cook on 400 degrees for approx 30 minutes, or until edges get slightly burnt and inner part is firm. The crispier you can get the top the better. (Add the cheese over top the last 15 minutes)
This makes a large dish that you probably won’t eat at one sitting, so simply freeze these into squares for a quick warm breakfast, or put in fridge and eat throughout the week. Heat up in oven on 350 for approx 10-15 minutes.