Steak Pizzaiola is a childhood dish I remember fondly. It was one of my big brothers’ favorite dishes. My mom is the real deal- 100% Italian. Such a beautiful thing…not all too common in the US any longer. While a lot of her Italian culture was not passed on to her through her second-generation parents, FOOD.certainly.was. She is graciously letting me share some of her delicious and treasured Italian dishes on this whole-food blog. I am grateful, and if you try them, you will be too! This recipe is EASY, filling and very Italian!
2 to 3 lbs. cube steak or thin sliced round steak
1 to 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas
Marinara or spaghetti sauce (approx 2-3 cups, save some to put over ‘pasta’)
- Salt and pepper steaks and brown in pan on medium high heat, 2 to 3 minutes a side.
- Place in casserole dish that you have greased with fat of choice and pour sauce over until meat is covered.
- Bake covered 1-1/2 hours to 2 hours on 350⁰. (this will get it nice and tender)
- Add peas the last 15 minutes or so. (Keep an eye on sauce to make sure it doesn’t get too thick, add water as needed)
- Serve with spaghetti squash (GAPS-friendly), or brown rice spaghetti.